FRIENDS OF THE FAIR
P.O. Box 242, Dixon CA 95620
SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM 2018
The Friends of Dixon May Fair have established the Scholarship Program for 2018. Funds to support the Scholarship Program are generated from “Friends” volunteer activities in support of the Dixon May Fair. This year a total of eight scholarships will be available; one at $3000.00, one of $2500.00, three at $2,000.00, one at $1500.00 and two at $1,000.00 each. When developing your application packet, please be specific to your category of choice.
- Must be enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in a four-year accredited college or university, an accredited community college, or an accredited trade school, located in California in an agricultural-related field.
- Agricultural-related fields include majors and options such as, but not limited to, agricultural and resource economics, agricultural business, agronomy and range science, agricultural science, agricultural systems management, animal science, avian sciences, bio-resource and agricultural engineering, plant protection science, dairy science, entomology, earth sciences, environmental horticultural science, environmental design, environmental management and protection, landscape architecture, food science, environmental toxicology, forestry and natural resources, fruit science, soils and biogeochemistry, agricultural education and communication, home economics, environmental resource sciences, agribusiness, pomology, animal science, vegetable crops, nematology, earth and soil sciences, plant pathology, food science and nutrition, wildlife and fisheries biology, horticulture and crop science, pest management, natural resources management, child, family and consumer science, viticulture and enology, atmospheric science, and hydrologic science.
- Must have a minimum grade point average of 2.0, or be a student in good standing.
- A personal statement of no more than two typed pages (double-spaced) must accompany your application. Please indicate why you are pursuing your desired career and what you hope to accomplish.
- A copy of your transcript (accumulative and current) must accompany this application.
- Final applicants will be required to participate in a formal interview with the Scholarship Committee.
- Each application packet must include:
- Friends of the Fair application form
- Personal statement
- Copy of your transcript (accumulative and current)
- Two current letters of recommendation (one must be from a professional educator)
Note: Each packet must include: 1 set of originals and 1 set of copies of each of the required forms. Only an official “Friends of the Fair” application will be accepted (NO exceptions to this requirement). Applications may be printed from the web site, http://www.friendsofthefair.org/.
Note: Only complete packets will be considered.
- Each application packet must include:
- Application packets and all their contents become the property of the Friends of the Fair.
- Scholarships of $3,000.00, $2500.00 & $2,000.00 will be awarded to 4-year college or university student categories. Scholarships of $1500.00 and $1,000.00 will be awarded to community college student categories.
- Applicants must be a resident of Solano County (FFA, 4-H or Grange experience desired, but not mandated) for this agricultural-related scholarship.
- Continuing scholarship winners can re-apply up to 4 times.
- Completed application packets must be postmarked no later than 5:00 P.M. on March 1, 2018. Mail to: Scholarship Committee, Friends of the Fair Scholarship Committee, P.O. Box 242, Dixon, CA 95620.
For further information, write to the Friends of the Fair, P.O. Box 242, Dixon, CA 95620, visit our Web site, http://www.friendsofthefair.org/,
or call Carrie Hamel at 707-678-3187.
PLEASE NOTE: All scholarship checks will be paid directly to the recipient upon receipt of proof of enrollment. All monies may be used only for tuition, fees, books, materials and supplies, housing and meals purchased on campus.
Recipients will be notified first by mail after April 15, 2018 and will be announced at the Dixon May Fair.
1a. Agricultural students currently in high school and planning to enter a four-year accredited college or university as an agricultural student, in the fall of 2018.
1b. Agricultural students currently in high school and planning to attend an accredited community college as an agricultural student, in the fall of 2018.
2a. Agricultural students currently enrolled in a four year accredited college or university and having successfully completed 12 units of coursework.
2b. Agricultural students currently enrolled in an accredited community college and having successfully completed 12 units of coursework.
This program seeks to motivate well-rounded high academic achievers in pursuit of their careers and life goals in the areas of agriculture. Preference will be given to individuals with broad personal, civic and academic experience. Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of scholarship, personal commitment and goals established for his/her field, leadership potential, civic accomplishments, chosen field and qualifications for category entered.
FRIENDS OF THE FAIR
P.O. Box 242, Dixon, CA 95620
Scholarship Application Form: 2018 scholarshipchg
Application must be filled out according to eligibility/application requirements on Page 1.
Application packets must be postmarked NO LATER THAN 5:00 P.M. ON March 1, 2018, AND MAILED TO SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE, FRIENDS OF THE FAIR, P.O. BOX 242, Dixon, CA 95620.
Note: Top qualifier in either Category 1a or 2a will be awarded the “Ester Armstrong Scholarship Award “ of $3000.00 and the “JoAn Giannoni Scholarship Award of $2500.00 will be awarded to the second highest qualifier.
Top qualifier in either Category 1b or 2b will be awarded the “Jack Hopkins Scholarship Award” of $1500.00